MORE COWS, MORE MILK FOR KISUMU
12.8million has been invested in livestock development program to boost milk production within Kisumu County after the purchase of 80 dairy cattle and 70 dairy goats.
The initiative that began last year with an investment of 13.2M is set to uplift the socio-economic status of women groups across 12 sub counties of which the impact has been felt among 3,000 families with a 20% increase in Milk production.
Speaking during the media press briefing,Governor Jack Ranguma reiterated that the initiative is a strategy to make the County self-reliant in milk production. He cited that the current milk production in Kisumu County is estimated at 27 million litters against 70 million litters demand resulting to a net deficit of 43million litters demand that come from the neighboring Counties.
The Governor said, “the program is expected to contribute to improved food security, increased household incomes and creation of jobs for the youths”. Targeted beneficiaries of the program are small scale subsistence farmers and members of registered groups who have been trained to take up zero grazing and adopt the principle of passing on the calves to members of the group to ensure everyone benefits.
The program has also gone a long way in ensuring that youths from Kisumu East and West sub counties received 50 rabbits and 1,700 day old chicks in support of urban and peri urban agriculture and livestock program.
The County government has promised to allocate more funds for acquisition of breeding stock for distribution in pursuit of improved livestock productivity in the County.
By Mikwa Emily
- KISUMU COUNTY TO SET UP A MODERN MILK PROCESSING PLANT
- A CALL TO DEFEND THE RULE OF LAW
- NATIONAL: WORLD RABIES DAY COMMEMORATION IN KISUMU
- Kisumu Gears Up for The 2017 World Tourism Day
- EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI)
- KISUMU COUNTY RANKS TOP IN EXCLUSIVE BREASTFEEDING
- ADVERTISEMENT OF VACANCIES:CEC AND CHIEF OFFICERS
- KISUMU COUNTY WELCOMES HER SECOND GOVERNOR
- KISUMU IS NEXT IN LINE TO RECEIVE A RECORD-BREAKING INVESTMENT
- ADVERT FOR FENCING OF VARIOUS FACILITIES
- ADVERT FOR MARKET SHADES
- COTTON FARMING THRIVES IN KISUMU COUNTY
- COUNTY INVESTS 59M IN WATER EQUIPMENT
- WAIVER ON PENALTIES AND INTEREST ON PROPERTY RATES 2017
- BOOSTING NUTRITION AND INCOMES THROUGH KITCHEN GARDENING
- KISUMU COUNTY CELEBRATES WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY
- PROMOTING FOOD SECURITY AS WELL AS HEALTHY NUTRITION
- ADVERT FOR SOLAR LIGHTS TENDERS
- BRIDGING THE MILK DEFICIT
- HOPE FOR A BETTER FUTURE AS COUNTY GOVERNMENT INVESTS IN EDUCATION
- County Launches e-Trade Licencing System
- KALOKA BEACH IRRIGATION WATER PROJECT AND NDURU BEACH IRRIGATION WATER PROJECT
- Digital Literacy Graduation Day-Kisumu Sports Ground
- KISUMU COUNTY BUDGET FOR FY 2016-2017
- FRAUDULENT EMPLOYMENT DISCLAIMER
- LAUNCH OF KOMBEWA KMTC
- Ranguma launches Kshs. 100M full scholarship and bursaries programme
- Governor Commissions Ksh 32.6M Critical Care Unit at JOOTRH
- Kisumu Signs MoU with South African Municipalities
- RECONSTRUCTION OF 5 MODEL PRIMARY SCHOOLS BY KUP TO BEGIN
- THE FISCAL STRATEGY PAPER
- CITIZEN-STATE ENGAGEMENT PLATFORM (HUDUMA)PLANNING WORKSHOP FOR KISUMU COUNTY
- YOUTH & WOMEN EMPOWERMENT
- Supply and Delivery of Solid Waste Management Vehicles and Equipment: Lot 1: Operations Plant, Machinery and Equipments Competitive
- PRE-BID MEETING HELD AT CITY HALL CHAMBERS ON 21ST SEPTEMBER, 2017
- Supply of ArcGIS Licenses, Installation and Training of Users
- THE KISUMU COUNTY FINANCE BILL 2017
- Final Prequalification List for 2016-2018
- Petroleum Business Licensing Procedure
- APPLICATION FORM FOR RETAIL OF PETROLEUM PRODUCTS (EXCEPT LPG)
- APPLICATION FORM FOR A LICENCE FOR RETAIL OF LPG IN CYLINDERS